Saturday, March 21, 2009

Monash Girl Geek Coffees Club

Monash Girl Geek Coffees Club

At first glance this was really funny - mainly the way it was worded. But come to think of it, it is something that is needed. In my tutes, there are an average of 1.333 girls out of a class size of about 20. Pretty dismal.

I have a personal theory that it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy as a result of two stereotypes: that IT is for geeks and geeks are guys
IT is for geeks --> I wouldn't fit in --> I don't think I'll do IT --> Very few girls in IT --> Hardly any girls in IT? Must be a buncha geeks --> IT is for geeks
While geeks tend to do better in IT, you don't necessarily have to be one to be good at it. That being said, you don't already have to be one to learn to be one.

So kudos to MGGCC!

No comments:

Post a Comment